Dia De Los Muertos in Sacramento 2013

Ayee, Sacramento is representing this year!  I am so proud at how far we have come, when it comes to celebrating my most favorite holiday of the year!  A few short years ago, the Dia De Los Muertos scene over here in Sactown  was but a mere trickle.  Fast forward to today, and there are happening's galore!  Makes me so proud!

In fact, all the happenings have inspired me to finally blog!  I know, I know, it has been a minute since I sat down and typed out a few lines, but I just couldn't pass up this opportunity to share whats up!

First on my list, is for Friday, November 1st.  Soul Collective gallery is partnering up with Historic Old Sacramento Foundation and is featuring a Procession that evening!  How exciting is that?  Here is the link, and be sure to check out the video.  They are also having different pop up art labs throughout October.

2nd on my list is

Dia de Los Muertos (Day of the Dead) 2013: 4th Annual El Panteon de Sacramento


Put on by La Raza Galeria Posada. This event just keeps growing and growing, and is a MUST SEE event.
It is a two day free event, and is great for the whole family.  Here is the linky!

3rd on my list, is:

DAY OF THE DEAD: ART OF DÍA DE LOS MUERTOSSeptember 24, 2013 – January 5, 2014

At the California Museum.

A journey through life, love and death, “Day of the Dead: Art of Día de los Muertos” is an all-new exhibit featuring contemporary installations by California artists Rob-OJohn Huerta and David Lozeau.
This event has been going on for a while, but the artists that are featured are AMAZING!!!  Definitely worth the trip, and what is great, is that it will be up for a while, so you have plenty of time!

4th, on my list (by the way, these are in no particular order) is: 
The Chicas Latinas de Sacramento at Noche de Muertos on Saturday, November 2, 2013 from 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM, at Zocalo in Midtown Sacramento for a Dia de los Muertos Fundraiser benefiting Calidanza Dance Company!

Awesome, right????  Here is the link

And 5th on my list.....(I am so excited that I have all these options to share with you!!!)

Is the Dia De Los Muertos show at Vox Studio.

Cover Photo
The Muertos are up at Vox Sacramento! 

Artwork by Tj Lev, Toni Rodriguez, Gabe Sanford, Kathi Briefer-Gose, Gloria, Yoli Manzo, and LaLa Ortiz.

Come create Muerto Eggs with Teri Hayner
$6 donation for the egg kit with hanger and instructions. 
First class at 6 PM.


Here is the linky.


One more shot out, yours truly had her 5 seconds of fame this month, giving props to making DIY altars for ofrendas.  Good Day Sacramento featured the Chicas Latinas on a show earlier this month, and we made the cut!  Here is a link to the video.

Big thanks to my girls at the Chicas-Latinas!  Here is the link to their page, should you want to get involved in meeting some real down arse Chicas, as well as helping out with the community. :-)


Now, where will I be during all this Dia De Los Muertos holiday????  Of course, you are thinking Sacramento, but, uhhh Unfortunately, I won't be in Sacramento this year.  After all that hype too!  Trust me, I hella feel like I am missing out this year, BUT...   I had this amazing opportunity, and I went for it!!  For this year, I will be in OAXACA, MEXICO!!!!!  Whoohooo.  I am going to the Madre of all Dia De Los Muertos celebrations, and I couldn't pass this trip up.  I am so looking forward to all the inspiration I will be experiencing. I will be able to incorporate all that I will be learning  in my own art and art classes I plan on teaching next year!

In addition to Dia De Los Muertos celebrations in Oaxaca.  Oaxaca is also know for their food. (reported birth place of Mole)  their Folk art, and TEXTILES!!!  Super Squee.  (I am a huge textile collector/hoader

Awww snap!  I wanted to show you pics, but my connection is acting up, and I have to finish packing.  Google Oaxaca art images, you will be blown away.

Lastly, I want to include in my blog, a cute freebie I came across today.
it is a Free Papel Picado Calavera template from Happy Thought.  Here is the link.  (so cute!)

Hope you can take advantage of some of these awesome festivites!  I want to hear all about it when I get back.  Viva Los Muertos!!

Yoli



Comments

Unknown said…
love you, yoli, have fun!!!!!