Dia De La Guadalupe

Shattered Halo


The Virgen has always been an influence in my life as well as a huge part of my culture. Even though I am no longer a practicing Catholic, Catholicism, it's rituals and beliefs are still strong influences inbred in my soul.

2nd layout

To this day, I always seem to include Guadalupe in my art, and I find comfort in running into her at various places, cities, countries and even in my toast. (I have a Guadalupe image stencil for toast) haha.

Madonna Shrine

Well, tomorrow is Dia De La Guadalupe and there are huge Mass celebrations and fiestas all throughout Mexico. It is a wonderful time to be in Mexico, where consecutive fiestas are being held.

G.C. VIRGEN DE GUADALUPE Pictures, Images and Photos

For those of you (if any) are not familia about how her story came about, please read on. :-)

Our Lady of Guadalupe appeared in Mexico as the pregnant Mother of God to Saint Juan Diego, a Chicemeca Indian, on December 9, 10 and 12, 1531. She left a Miraculous Image of her appearance on his cactus fiber cloak, or "tilma", which still exists today for all to see in the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico City.

Our Lady came to offer faith, hope and consolation to the oppressed natives of Mexico and to reconcile then with their Spanish rulers. She put an end to the bloody human sacrifice of the Aztecs and converted nine million natives in the next nine years!

After the conquest, the Spanish rule of the natives was so severe that a bloody revolt was imminent. Bishop Zumarraga prayed for Our Lady to intervene to prevent an uprising, to reconcile the Spanish and the natives and to bring peace. It is believed that he asked that he would receive roses native to his homeland of Castile Spain as a sign that his prayer would be answered.

On December 9, 1531, Our Lady appeared to Saint Juan Diego who was a recently converted Catholic. She asked him to go to the Bishop and request him to build a church for her on the barren hill of Tepeyac that is now part of Mexico City. Our Lady wanted to show her merciful love to all of her children. The prudent Bishop asked Juan to ask the Lady for a sign. Juan did so and Our Lady promised to give him the sign.

On December 12, Our Lady again appeared to Juan on Tepeyac Hill and told him to pick the Castilian roses which miraculously appeared there and bring them to the Bishop as a sign for him to believe her request. Juan gathered the roses into his tilma and brought them to the Bishop.

Juan opened the tilma to show them and, to everyone's astonishment, the Image of Our Lady appeared on it. The Bishop then built the church as Our Lady had requested and nine million natives were converted and baptized to the one, true faith within the next nine years. Human sacrifice ended in Mexico forever. Our Lady of Guadalupe, which means Crusher of the stone serpent, brought the light of the true faith, crushed the false gods of Mexico and established an era of peace.

Even if you are not Catholic, churches throughout the world will be celebrating Guadalupe tomorrow. If you have a chance to attend one of these masses, you will be in for a very inspirational treat.

Viva La Virgen!

Guadalupe Pictures, Images and Photos

Comments

GlorV1 said…
I love your post about Dia De La Guadalupe. Very nice and thx for sharing.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the information on her. I love your journal art including her as well, the colors and feel are very nice. :)
forcryeye said…
Just lovely! I wish I had time to journal about her to post as well. I grew up Catholic, and am comforted by the rituals too! :)
Flor Larios Art said…
Very nice post about La virgen de Guadalupe.
I always wanted to paint her and after seeing your blog I am going to try. Thanks for the inspiration.
Flor
3rdEyeMuse said…
what a wonderful post! thanks for sharing the information - I have always been drawn to her image & believe it or not, had never known the history. :)
FAQ said…
That was very interesting, I had read that story somewhere years ago and had forgotten it. Thanks for educating me again. Love your art....always.
Merry Christmas Yoli! I feel blessed each time I step 'foot' onto your blog, for the gifts you bestow on US come clearly from your wide opened HEART!

May 2009 continue to LIFT you up!

your friend, Monica :)
Marlublu said…
I so love your Virgen De Guadalupe post.The story was perfect and I just love the small tin.
Anonymous said…
HEY! I learned about that in college history class believe it or not! Facisnating! Your art is beautiful Yoli... just like you!
Missy
Belinda said…
wondrful pages and i loved reading about it again. not catholic, but christian non-practicing. in germany we were obliged to attend masses back in elementary school.
Tammy said…
I LOVE your Mary! She's so beautiful with her golden halo. I was raised catholic and was a eucheristi minister until I moved 7 years ago. I haven't practiced since then and I dearly miss the rituals of the Catholic Church. I painted my own version of Mary for my sister for Christmas this year.